And now for the "adventure"....
Dad called me yesterday with an opportunity for me to take part in an 80-mile relay race in IL. It's called the River to River Relay. I'll only be running about 9 miles of it, but it seems a little daunting since my last "long run" was only 5 miles, and that was probably two months ago! Also, I will most definitely be the slowest one on the team. I've been assured that they're not concerned about that. But, it still stinks to know you're the weakest link. The reason I was invited is because two members of the team had to drop out and they needed more runners. Dad is definitely going, and I'm still trying to decide...
On one hand, I hate to pass an opportunity like this up. Cliff will be out of town for work, so I would be by myself this weekend anyway. I'd get to go on a road trip with Dad, which I've missed since our trip to Wyoming a couple years ago.
On the other hand, I'm not really in any kind of shape to be running for a team. Since I'm going to be the slowest, I'll be to blame if we don't make it to the finish line before the cutoff at 8:00pm. I will feel a lot of pressure to run my hardest (and even that won't be much help). I've looked at the weather and it looks like possible storms for Saturday...NOT fun! I'd also have to break some Friday night plans with a friend, which I hate to do.
I just don't know what to do! I'm leaning towards going right now. I hate to regret it later if I choose to stay home. Any advice?





WELL, since I'm ON this relay team and wanting you to come, I'm going to comment. :) First of all, we do not care about pace/time. We have a set of legs that is a total of 8.80 miles and that can be yours. Also, we are starting at 7:45 a.m. and that gives us PLENTY of time to get through our miles. We just want to run it.
ReplyDeleteAs far as stormy weather (yuck) and canceling plans, I know neither one of those are fun!!!
So it is up to you, my friend. We would be thrilled to have you, and completely understand if you decide not to come. :)
Mmmm, egg salad....now I'm hungry! Oh, and I love your wording about the race...you'll ONLY be running 9 miles of it. Only 9 miles, is that all? Yeah, I think that would be suicide for me!
ReplyDelete