So, yesterday I had a job interview with Omnicare of Nashville. Let me provide some background...
I had sent my resume in last week for a position that was posted on Careerbuilder.com. Last Friday, while at the Zoo, I received a call from the HR rep, wanting to talk to me about a new position (not the one I had originally applied for). This was a QC position. Since, I had lots of QC experience on my resume, she thought I would be a good fit. So, we tentatively scheduled an interview for early afternoon on Tuesday. Monday, she called me again and asked if I could do it Wednesday morning....even better in my mind.
Now that you're up to speed...
I got there way too early yesterday morning. She told me to come in a little early so I could fill out an application before our interview at 10:00. Well, I got there somewhere in the neighborhood of 8:45! So, I just sat in the truck for awhile and collected my thoughts. It was nice to be able to relax a little before going in. I was feeling a little anxious that morning. I finally decided to venture in around 9:30. The receptionist was super nice. She showed me where the applications were, offered me a phone book (in case I needed to look up phone numbers/addresses of past employers), and I went to work. It took me several minutes to complete it, and I was beginning to think I had timed it just right when the receptionist informed me that my interviewer was running late, and probably wouldn't be there until 10:30. Turns out, it was more like 10:45 before he ever showed up. So, I sat there a few more minutes while he collected himself, and then I followed him into the conference room. The interview went very well I thought. I was worried that it would be one of those, "Tell me 5 of your strengths and 5 of your weaknesses, and why you think so..." I had been trying for that past few days to come up with some, just in case. But this was much less formal than that. I was given plenty of opportunity to ask questions, and I felt like I was able to be honest with him about my personality and work style.
After we had chatted for awhile, he left the room. Now, I think it was so that I could have some time to mull everything over and come up with anymore questions if need be. Mostly what I thought about during that time, was the impact this job would have on people. See, Omnicare is a pharmacy that provides services for nursing and assissted living homes. My job would be to visit these facilities and make sure the correct drugs are going to the appropriate patients, that the dosages are correct, the storage conditions are correct, etc. Having grandparents who spent their later years in assisted living, this really hit home.
A few minutes later, he returned and offered me the job. I was caught off guard. I wasn't expecting an offer that day. I sort of felt bad that I didn't discuss it with Cliff first, but I decided to go ahead and accept it. It bothered me that the pay wasn't near what I was making before, but I would've been foolish and proud not to accept. I believe this job offer was an answer to many prayers. Sure, I'm anxious about starting something totally new and different, but it sounds like a good fit for me. It will definitely be hard not having all this "free" time. A girl gets used to that, you know! But, this job will mean that Cliff and I can continue working towards our dream together. And that makes me happy :)

That sounds wonderful! Congrats on your new job!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on the new job, Val. When do you start and how big of a territory will you have to cover?
ReplyDeleteThe zoo photos were great. I am learning how to manage my blog. I have just figured out how to e-mail myself photos tha I find on the internet. I've got to get Rob to show mw how to scan my art work to the computor so I then get it to my blog.
Again Good Luck on your new job.
Congrats Val! I'm so excited for you. It sounds like a very interesting position.
ReplyDelete